Reserve (substitute) Teacher Information
1. What are the qualifications for becoming a reserve teacher with MPS?
· Must have at least a BA degree (in any area)
· Must hold a valid Minnesota standard teaching license OR a valid Minnesota limited Short Call license
2. How do I get a Short Call license?
· You must apply for a Short Call license online by going to the Minnesota Department of Education Web site. The web address is education.state.mn.us.
· Under the “Quick Links” column, Click on the Licensing link
· Click on “Online Licensing System” and follow directions
· For assistance and more information contact the Minnesota Department of Education at 651-582-8691.
3. How much does it cost to get a Short Call license?
· The cost for a first time Short Call limited license is $93.45.
· The cost for a license renewal is $58.70.
· Payment is made online when applying for the Short Call license.
4. What is the job responsibility of a Reserve teacher?
· Complete the lesson plan left by the teacher
· Complete extra duties the teacher may normally do (i.e. bus duty, hall duty, lunch room duty)
· Make sure the room is in order and picked up at the end of the day
· Write a detailed note to the teacher explaining what happened during the day
· Follow and enforce the rules of the school and classroom
· Supervise the students at all times
· Keep the students safe
· Be a positive role model
· Be on time and stay until the assignment is complete
5. How much do reserve teachers get paid?
· Reserve teachers are paid $160.00 for a full day or $20.00 per hour.
6. When do I get paid?
· You are paid every two weeks on Friday.
7. How much will I be able to work?
· A reserve teacher determines how much they work. Assignment availability could vary from day to day.
· You are required to work at least 1 day per month to remain in the position.
8. What School(s) will I be working at?
· You choose what school(s) you will work at.
· You can accept an assignment at any school, any grade level and any subject.
9. How am I assigned a job?
· MPS uses a sub finder system called Aesop (Automated Educational Support Operator)
· You log into the system either using the web or by phone
· You will see/hear available opportunities and accept the assignment you want
More information will be provided at the reserve teacher orientation
10. Where can I get more information on how to apply for a Reserve Teacher Position?
· Go to Minneapolis Public school website: www.mpls.k12.mn.us
· Click on the “Careers” tab
· Click on the “Becoming a Reserve Teacher” link located on the left side of the screen
11. Who can I contact if I have additional questions?
· Email your questions to email@example.com